Sunday, August 03, 2008

I Know Why Everything is Made in China

Let me tell you, I will NOT be opening a factory anytime soon. I've been working to make some of my handmade items en masse and I don't like it! I get stressed out enough as it is to make one of something. Then when you add the element of a deadline well, forget about it (said in your best Mickey Blue Eyes voice)! I definitely enjoy making things for gifts the best. And I love the challenge of doing something new all the time-new techniques, materials. Oh, well. I'll get it done.



I took a little break this afternoon and updated my sidebar with the blogs of a couple my blog buddies. I'd been remiss in introducing them to you. How rude, huh?!? Yapping Cat Studio is the blog of Cindy from the great state of Texas. She was my partner from the Queen's Tea swap (my one and only swap) and is currently organizing a paper arts gathering in her area called Paper Cowgirl . She also has a retail space in a beautiful shop and restaurant called The Dove's Nest. Cindy is always up to something creative and has a great sense of humor. Check out her blog and say hello!





The other blogger I'd like to introduce to you is another Cindy. Cindy Lammon is quickly becoming a local celebrity with her recently released book of quilt patterns, Gathered From the Garden.



I think folks are particularly drawn to her easy going style and ability to pass on her love of quilting. Cindy makes quilting seem approachable even for a beginner. I recently won a drawing on her blog and was honored to receive blocks from the quilt featured on the cover of her book.



She had to submit this group of blocks to the technical editor during the publishing process so they are perfect to say the least! They are just stunning and the colors couldn't be more ideal for my house. I can't wait to try and complete the wall hanging for my stairwell. I love them Cindy-thank you SO much! You can visit Cindy at her blog or if you're local at Raspberry Patch Quilt Shop.





My mom and Cindy have opened my eyes to a whole new world with quilting. I just can't resist the beautiful fabrics (many of them by the same manufacturers of the papers I love). On Friday, Cindy helped me choose gorgeous Anna Griffin fabrics for a fun, modern quilt for one of my nieces for Christmas. And now I have three quilts to finish. The plan is to make the same quilt for another niece for Christmas so that's actually four! Geesh! I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I know I can get the tops completed, but I had forgotten about the actually quilting!





Guess I'd better get back to work on my current projects. Sounds like I'm going to be busy, busy through the end of the year! Anyhow, holla at my girls-isn't that what Tim Gunn says!?! I know, I like 'make it work' better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After you left the quilt shop, I thought "I'd like to make that quilt with all that Anna Griffin fabric." Do I need another project?? Probably not - but that's never stopped me before!

Anonymous said...

My, my - - you have really set a lofty goal. I wish you luck in finishing your projects. Completion is just a matter of determination.

Cindy said...

two words - bag balm! LOL. I tried my hand at quilting, but ouch! I'm a wheenie! Love Cindy's book, though, it's beautiful and I'm a sucker for fat quarters. I just buy em and stash em. LOL.
Thanks for all your kind words! You are too sweet! And yeah, stuff "en masse"...does lose it's thrill. That's what I'm going through right now...trying to get all these little books done. Hang in there. And thanks again for the generous compliements. You are too sweet!

the other cindy, LOL.
c