Thursday, February 12, 2009

Feelin' the Love




How's your week going? Are you feelin' the love yet? I'm feverishly attempting to get all my valentines made for our party day at school tomorrow. Just some simple things - or so I thought when I decided to make them! :)



I have admired the paper garlands that Pam Garrison has been making for awhile now. Originally inspired by a display at Anthropologie, she is teaching a couple classes on how to make them out of unbleached coffee filters. I know, sounds crazy doesn't it? But trust me-they are very pretty when mixed with vintage sewing patterns and music and other vintage papers. Pam recently shared on her blog a little bit about the garlands she has made using cupcake liners. Yes, cupcake liners! Here's one I've been working on. Just a little valentine fun - I mixed in pages from an old school workbook that was predominantly printed in pinks and reds.






And speaking of feelin' the love - Abraham Lincoln is getting his share today on the bicentennial of his birthday. We love Abe at our house and if you haven't paid a visit to the presidential museum and library in Springfield, IL, I encourage you to do so. It is captivating!



Today, more than ever before we can see the influence of Abraham Lincoln and his ideals on our country. What a moving scene on inauguration day to see him overlooking the festivities as the first African American president was sworn in on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.



One of my most favorite things about Lincoln are his quotes. Here are some of my favorites:


All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother.

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.

Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Whatever you are, be a good one.



Good stuff. Thank you, Mr. Lincoln. Happy 200th Birthday!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

The garland really turned out cute!

c

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I love to read your blogs. I feel the love. Hope you do too. M